Friday, September 24, 2010

I'm in love with figs


The first fig I ever ate, that was not a fig newton, was given to me by my college roommate and great friend Kara Hynes. After being re-introduced to fresh ripe figs by Avi in his amazing watermelon fig salad, I have been craving them. Tonight I made his salad and for dessert I noshed on the leftover figs that didnt make it into my salad. Figs are in season during the end of summer, which means right now. 



Figs are highly perishable, so only purchase them when you know they will be eaten within a couple of days. There are several different fig varieties. The most popular, the Black Mission fig, has blackish-purple skin and gorgeous pink insides. 
When selecting your figs at the market, look for a deep, rich color, a plump, but not mushy appearance, and a sweet fragrance. When storing figs at home, make sure that they are refrigerated and stored in a safe place where they cannot be bruised or crushed. Take advantage of the tail end of the fig season and stock up on this delicious fruit. 

1 comment:

  1. JP has been harassing me because every time I go to the grocery store- I buy like 20 dollars worth of figs. I adore them. My carnivorous-self loves them with prosciutto :) Please post the recipe for he above. xo

    ReplyDelete