Saturday, November 5, 2011

Stuffed Delicata Squash

Yesterday was such an amazing day....I had the day off!  On my way to yoga I went to the Copley Square Farmers Market and found myself at the Sienna Farms Tent.  (Owned along with Oleana and Sofra- my absolute favorite restaurant in MA) I ate at Oleana with T last week to celebrate by passing of the bar and was really inspired by all their amazing spices.  Well, I later learned that their spices are so sought out that they actually sell them at Sofra and the Sienna Farms Tent.  So I treated myself to a four pack.  I also picked up some "imperfect" brussel sprouts, a sugar pumpkin, watermelon radishes, and the most delicate baby bok choy I have ever seen in my life.  After yoga I had plans to cook lunch for Goldie and Lauren.  I was recently given a recipe for stuffed delicate squash from my friend Holly and have been wanting to test it out.  I also wanted to incorporate my new spices! So I followed the original recipe from Holly but added dukkah to the stuffing. Dukkah is an Egyptian spice and nut mix made with sesame, hazelnuts, coriander, cumin, and coconut. (Amazing!) The dish turned out spectacular.  Every once in a while I will just make up a recipe and fail...this time I hit it out of the park.  I cannot wait to make this for my dad during Christmas!



Stuffed Delicate Squash
Ingredients
2 small/medium delicata squash
1/2 cup red quinoa
1 cup garbanzo beans- dried (substitute a can of garbanzos if  you have less time)
1 cup chopped kale
1/2 cup diced zuchinni
1/2 red onion diced
2 cloves garlic
2 tbs earth balance
sea salt
dukkah (this can be homemade or bought from Sofra)

Method
Soak the garbanzos over night in a bowl with a 2:1 ratio of water and beans.  The beans soak up the water so you want to make sure there is plenty of water.  Add a dash of salt to the water to keep the skins intact. Let soak for at least 8 hours.  I cook my beans in a pressure cooker because it takes less time but you can also boil them.  Once cooked set aside.  Cook the quinoa according to the package, usually 2:1 ratio of water to grain.

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Cut the squash in half and clean out the insides.  Place them face down in a glass baking dish with about a quarter inch of water.  Cook for 25-30 minutes.  Then flip them over and add a little salt and about 1/2 tsp earth balance butter to the inside of each squash half and continue to cook until tender, about 15-20 more minutes.

While the squash is cooking saute the garlic, onion, zuchinni, and kale until tender.  Mix the garbanzos, quinoa, and vegetable saute in a bowl.  Add two tsp dukkah to the stuffing mixture or how ever much you desire.

Once the squash is tender, pull the dish out and stuff the squash with the stuffing. Return to the oven to warm the stuffing, about 5-10 minutes.  Enjoy!







No comments:

Post a Comment