Sunday, November 6, 2011

Buckwheat Oatmeal Pancakes With Apple Pumpkin Chutney

I am constantly inspired by the food at Oleana.  The vegan plate last night included a red lentil, beet, and coconut kibbeh with an apple pumpkin chutney.  It was absolutely amazing.  My entire walk home I decided how I would recreate this dish at home.  So this morning I decided to start by making an apple pumpkin chutney.  I figured I would make pancakes and test the chutney with the pancakes.

Buckwheat Oatmeal Pancakes
Ingredients
1/4 cup buckwheat pancake mix
1/4 cup quick cooking oats
1 tbs oil
1/2 cup almond milk
1 tbs agave

Method
Soak the oats in 1/4 cup almond milk for 10 minutes. Mix the buckwheat pancake mix with the oil and the agave.  Add the oats to the pancake mix.  Mix with a cake mixer to add lightness to the batter or the pancakes will be very dense.  Cook on med/low heat.


Apple Pumpkin Chutney
Ingredients
2 tart apples, diced and peeled
1/2 extra small pumpkin
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 maple sugar
1 tsp grated ginger
1/2 tsp grated lemon peel
1/2 tsp dukkah (homemade or bought from Sofra)

Method
Add all ingredients to a sauce pan and bring to a boil.  Turn heat to low and simmer until apples and pumpkin are tender.  Cool, cover, and chill.

No comments:

Post a Comment