Saturday, November 12, 2011

Four Ingredient Vegan Pumpkin Pie

Pumpkin pie is by far T's favorite of all the pies out there.  So I've been looking for a recipe that we would both love....without sacrificing flavor. My dear friend Austin Lin sent me this recipe he found online...so I tried it out. At first I was worried it would taste too much like cashew, but after it cooks and cools the pumpkin spices really come out, making it one of the best vegan pies I've made yet.  T loved it, especially with vanilla almond ice cream.  Austin, I owe you a pie for giving me such a great recipe!! Note: this recipe take about three hours because the pie really needs to cool properly.

Vegan Pumpkin Pie
Ingredients
1 1/4 cups raw soaked cashews
1 cup real maple syrup
16 oz pumpkin puree, fresh or canned
2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1 standard vegan pie crust

Method
Soak 1 cup raw cashews over night, approximately 8-18 hours, in 2 1/2 cups water with 1 tsp salt. Salt helps absorption of the water. The softer they are the better they blend, but don't soak them for more than 18 hours or they get slimy.
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Drain the cashews, they should be slightly purple, this is normal. Add all ingredients to the blender and puree. Pour the mixture into a par baked pie crust.  Bake at 400 for 15 minutes.  Turn the heat down to 350 and bake for another 40 minutes.  Let the pie cool for 30 minutes on the counter and about another 1-2 hours in the fridge, that way the filling really has time to set.  Serve with whipped cream or ice cream or enjoy plain!!!


Recipe from: http://kblog.lunchboxbunch.com/2011/10/four-ingredient-vegan-pumpkin-pie.html

2 comments:

  1. I just made it! YUMM!! Only thing, less maple and more pumpkin. It was just way too sweet for me so I used about 3/4 cup maple syrup and about four more ounces of pumpkin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, I'm glad you tried it! Good to know about the maple, thanks!

    ReplyDelete