Saturday, April 16, 2011

SATURDAY IN DALLAS- 4/16

This day was absolutely the best!!!!!  Even though I drank quite a bit than usual the day before, I made sure to take tons of alge before I went to bed to guarantee that I wouldn't be hungover.  And it worked like a charm, thanks to the Naughty Nurtitionist, who I get my alge from.  I was up by 7 am lounging in "Casa de Allie" reading Cooking Light and sipping tea. We had plans to catch a 10 am vinyasa class at Uptown Yoga...and that is exactly what we did.



Uptown Yoga is a classy little studio with some great teachers.  The studio is absolutely beautiful, with brick walls and large framed mirrors in the front of the room, it really had a welcoming feel.   Our instructor, Jennifer, did an amazing job of catering to an all levels class.  I always worry, when brining newbies to yoga, that the instructor will do a poor job of teaching for all levels.  Jennifer did the opposite, in fact she probably did the best job of accommodating all of her students I have seen in a long time.  And that says a lot because I go to a ton of yoga classed. Blake and JP's good friend Sam recommended the studio and actually joined us for class.  We plan to go back tomorrow!!  http://www.uptownyoga.com/



After yoga we hit up the Dream Cafe- this cute little place has gorgeous outdoor seating and we were even lucky enough to get a table directly in the sun.  Since we were still in sweaty yoga clothes the sun felt amazing!  Again this cafe can feed all your friends....even the picky vegan ones.  They offer an amazing southwestern tofu scramble, and can substitute tofu in any of their egg dishes.  They also offer soy cheese and meatless sausages!  Also, they have a to-die-for homemade granola with toasted pepitas.  Sam joined us for brunch and we literally talked food the entire meal...my most favorite conversation!  http://www.thedreamcafe.com/





After brunch we showered and set out to find Spiceman's FM 1410.  Located in the middle of seedy East Dallas this place is a highly understated gem in the rough!!!! I was in absolute heaven.  Although hard to find, this place is a must go for any foodie.  At first you feel like you are walking into a run-down side of the road country store but then you are reminded why you came here.  This place is filled with fresh organic vegetables and herbs.  There were bags of fresh rosemary, sacks of onions and carrots, boxes overflowing with okra, fava beans, and peas.  They had ramps, fiddle ferns, arugula, spinach, and almost anything else that is in season right now. They literally had every kind of mushroom I could conceive of then more.....even white truffles.  The best part is if you walk out the back door you are transported to their amazing garden.  Thats right...right there in the middle of Dallas this little place has an amazing well kept garden with plots full of veggies, and herbs including mint and chives and dill and lettuces!!!! I just about passed out with joy!  They kept all their gardening tools in recycled cowboy boots nailed to beams which I thought was so fitting!  They also had buckets of cow manure for fertilizer...so cool.  Yes... I just got excited about cow poop.  To top it all off we got an unbelievable amount of veggies for $40....thats right- this even included a half ounce of white truffles.




After our visit to Spiceman's we hit the local community garden next door for some herbs. Blake picked up some cilantro, chives, Thai basil and Italian basil.  To show my gratitude I promised her that I would pot it for her once we got home so that she could start a little herb garden of her own!












Last, we went to Jimmy's Food Store right down the block for some wine and fresh lamb chops for Blake and JP to have after I depart.

My sincerest thank you to Blake and JP for making this such a special day for me....if anyone really knows me its you!  I love you so much and cherish our friendship so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment