Monday, January 24, 2011

Ski House Cooking!

Now that I'm in my third year of law school I have finally been blessed with more time on the weekends.  As such, I have been skiing quite a bit.  Two weekends ago I was lucky enough to be invited to ski with some friends in VT. As a side note, I have very few friends that are vegan but I love to cook, even if it means cooking meat.  That said, I typically limit my cooking of carnivore meals to meat sent to me by my mom.  My mom does some outfitting up the White River in Colorado and sent me some fresh elk from this season's hunters. So, during my this ski trip we combine forces and made one amazing meal.  We cooked an elk tenderloin my mom sent me, seasoned with sea salt and pepper then rubbed with fresh thyme and rosemary and grilled rare.  The "master chef" CI made an amazing arugula, radish, and toasted pine nut salad with a light dijon, lemon, and red wine dressing.  I also made a roasted butternut squash soup with a cashew cream and mushroom cakes.  Last, our amazing grill master cooked up some asparagus with fresh garlic.

MUSHROOM CAKES: saute a variety of your favorite mushrooms in earth balance butter with fresh rosemary, I used crimini and shiitake.  Take half the mushrooms and blend in a blender or food processor with a few tablespoons of almond or soy milk.  Add the processed mushrooms with the remaining sauteed mushrooms in a bowl, mix in panko bread crumbs until thick and you can make patties.  Bake at 350 for 15 minutes, then lightly pan fry, serve hot.



No comments:

Post a Comment