Friday, January 28, 2011

Flirting with Fish

So I have been completely vegan for over a year now. I follow macrobiotics, as best as I can, focusing on whole grains and tons of veggies.  However, many macrobiotics eat fish, although it is optional and based on preference. Fresh fish and sea foods (seaweed and sea vegetables) are an important part of the macrobiotic diet. Fish (including shellfish) is a reliable source of protein, minerals (iron, selenium and iodine), vitamins and essential fatty acids. The livers of white fish (cod and halibut) are a particularly good source of vitamins A and D.  I have decided to work a little fish back into my diet.  I am a particularly active person and have noticed that during the winter months it does take quite a bit to get to that satisfied feeling when eating. I have been skiing and taking spin a ton in the last few months and feel like an extra serving or two of fish a week will really help me keep from overeating. So, I was inspired by Blake Sachs and Austin Lin to try a fish in foil recipe. Austin has been raving about it for as long as I can remember and Blake just posted a recipe on her blog (http://binanutshell.blogspot.com/) so I figured I'd give it a go.
Chilean Sea Bass in Tin Foil
2 4-oz pieces of Chilean sea bass
1 lemon
1 shallot
2 tbs. white wine
Salt and pepper
Fresh rosemary
1 tbs. earth balance butter

Preheat over to 400 degrees. Prepare 2 pieces of tinfoil large enough to wrap up the salmon. Place sliced lemon wedges on the bottom, place fish on top.

Season the salmon with salt and pepper. Cover with shallots and rosemary. Place white wine and lemon juice over the fish and shallots. Place a dollop of Earth Balance butter on top and wrap in foil. Cook on a baking sheet in oven for 20 minutes.

Side Dishes

Pasta with blanched broccoli
 in a garlic white wine sauce-
By Chef TKC!

Watercress salad with
 pressed radishe and toasted pine nuts,
in a mustard red wine vinagrette.

No comments:

Post a Comment