Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Stuffed Peppers




My local farmer's market has had some amazing peppers recently, so I decided put a spin on a recipe my mom made when I was little for stuffed peppers! This recipe is easy and involves few ingredients. Feel free to add or subtract any ingredients to the rice mixture to give it your own spin. For example, my mom always adds tomato sauce to the rice mixture but I decided not to- however it tastes great either way!

Ingredients
3-4 bell peppers- color of your choosing
1 1/2 cups mixed rice- cooked
1/2 cup celery
1/2 cup red onion
3/4 can kidney beans- rinsed
1/4 cup cilantro
2 tbs earth balance butter
salt and pepper
salsa

Method
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cut a hole in the top of each pepper and remove the core and seeds.  Boil for 15-20 mins until soft.  Drain and cool.  In a separate bowl combine the rice, diced celery, diced red onion, kidney beans, chopped cilantro, earth balance and salt and pepper.  Place the peppers upright in a baking dish and stuff with the rice mixture.  Bake for 20 minutes. Let cool and serve topped with a dollop of salsa.

No comments:

Post a Comment