Saturday, August 27, 2011

Costa Rican Inspiration

I had an amazing post-bar trip to Colorado and then to Costa Rica......again this year.  This trip I was introduced to Cassava root and have really used typical Costa Rican fare to inspire my cooking since I have been back in Boston.

Cassava root, also known as Yucca, is a root vegetable native to South America. With a consistency very similar to a potato this root is super absorbent and takes on the flavor of the ingredients you cook it with. Cassava is higher in fiber and potassium than potatoes and is perfect boiled, fried, or in soups.

For dinner one night I got vegan tortilla soup from Whole Foods and boiled then lightly pan sauteed cassava root for a hearty side dish.  Cassava should be peeled, cored, and boiled.  It should not be eaten raw.












I also ate many many Costa Rican casados while traveling there last month.  The casado is a national dish consisting of beans, rice, plantains, salad, and a meat.  Finding a vegetarian casado was rarely difficult.  Vegetarian casados usually included sauteed veggies of different varieties. Last week I made a traditional casado with mixed rice, black beans, sauteed kale and summer squash, jicima avocado slaw and poached tilapia with cantaloupe salsa.


No comments:

Post a Comment